Let’s Go Wild!
Get some ‘Wild Time’ with your family with the help of our 'Let's Go Wild' ideas featuring simple ideas for games, crafts and activities to do outdoors - just for fun or to get closer to wildlife.
Get out into your garden, local park or come on down to Moors Valley – these activities can be done in almost any outdoor space. Most won’t need any complicated equipment – just enthusiasm and sometimes some common household items.
Get inspired, get outdoors and lets go wild!
- Moth Spotting – Have fun spotting moths at night
- Make a Sweep Net – Make your own sweep net to help you look for insects in long grasses
- Camouflage Games – Test your camouflage skills with these fun games
- Butterfly Feeder – Attract butterflies to your garden by making your own feeder
- Cloud Watching – A simple and fun activity that doesn’t need any equipment other than your imagination!
- Butterfly i-Spy – See how many different types of butterfly you can see
- Natural Weaving – Create a work of art from natural materials
- Reflections of Nature – Get a completely new view of the world around you
- Mini Treasures – Challenge your friends and see who can collect the most natural treasures in miniature
- Make a Pledge – Celebrate World Environment Day (June 5th) and promise to do something to help the environment or your local wildlife
- Wiggly Wavy – Find as many leaves as you can to match the sheet
- Dawn Chorus – Get up early and listen for the chorus of birdsong
- Spring i-Spy – How many signs of spring can you find?
- Sunflowers – How tall will your sunflower grow?
- Easter Baskets – Make your own Easter basket from natural materials
- Nest Challenge – Can you build a nest to hold some eggs?
- Barefoot Trail – Take off your shoes and socks and go on a barefoot walk
- Musical Nature – Use natural objects to make some unique musical instruments
- Squirrel Seeds – Try these two games to see if you could make it as a squirrel and survive the winter
- Autumn i-Spy – How many signs of autumn can you find?
- Worm charming – See if you can charm a worm
- Underwater viewer – A nice and easy activity to get you closer to some of the creatures hiding in ponds and streams
- Mini Wildlife Pond – A great weekend project to help wildlife in your garden
- Birdie Bingo – See who can be the first to spot them all
- Pitfall Trap – Set a minibeast friendly trap to see which woodland minibeasts you can find living in your back garden
- Wildlife Detective – Become a wildlife detective in search of signs of animal life
- Poohsticks – The fun game invented by Winnie the Pooh
- Fly a Kite – Make your own kites and seeing which ones will fly
- Trail Finders – Set a secret trail for your friends to follow
- Festive Family Walk – Take a fun walk with your family
- Deck the Halls – Bring a touch of the outdoors into your home at Christmas
- Wooden Rudolph – A festive reindeer make
- Winter Ice Art – Bring a bit of winter magic to your garden
- Besom Broom – Make your own natural besom broom for Halloween
- Feed the Birds – Make a tasty bird feeder for your garden birds
- Leaf Crowns – Create a glorious leaf crown with colourful autumn leaves
All Year Round
- Stargazing – You don’t need a telescope. On a clear night there are lots of interesting things that can be seen with the naked eye.
- Nature’s Alphabet – Can you find a natural object for every letter of the alphabet?
- Feely Boxes – Test out your sense of touch and explore natural textures with this fun game
- Colour Catching – When you take time to stop and look you’ll be amazed at all the different colours and shades you can find in nature
- Snail racing – A fun game to play with friends
- Forest friends – Get creative outdoors and make your own monster friend!
- Meet a Tree – Make friends with a tree in this great all year round game
- Den Building – Make a mini home for a cuddly toy or something to hide in yourself
- Leaf Boats – Will it float or will it sink? Challenge your friends to a boat race
- Goldsworthy Apprentices – Explore natural materials and become an Environmental Artist like Andy Goldsworthy
- Water Filter Challenge – Test your survival skills and challenge your friends to see who can make the best water filter
- Tree Guardians – Use mud and natural materials to create magical faces of tree guardians in the woods
- Welly-tastic! – Fun, outdoor activities to make use of your old wellies
- Tin Can Cooking – A fun way for children to try cooking outdoors
- Smelly Cocktails – Unlock the smells of the countryside with some special pixie juice!